Friday 13 January 2012

A Rather Major Update

I really haven't been very good at keeping this updated. Lots to report, but I'm going to keep it quick. 

After carrying out a full and cynical (read: realistic) budget, we've come to the unbelievably reluctant decision that riding/racing the divide in 2013 is not something that we can financially afford to do. This isn't to say it will never happen, because it will. Whether it's in 2, 3, 5 or 50 years, it will happen. In the mean-time, we're going to set our eyes on some smaller (read: cheaper....) challenges.

Tomorrow we collect our new (and first!) road bikes, so expect a flurry of new posts in the coming weeks!

For now, as someone once said, "life's too short not to take these adventures". 


2 comments:

  1. Sorry to see your plans for tackling the divide have been shelved for now.
    I followed blue dots for the 2011 and 2012 editions and am now hooked! I intend to tackle it in 2014. Similarly to you I ran the figures, decided it was impractical for next year but with the support of my Wife and kids (at least for now!) I will go 2014.
    Sounds like you would benefit from building towards it and there will be plenty of opportunities to refine equipment selection while you gain the necessary experience.
    Good luck - I'll keep watching:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob!

      Thanks for the support. Although the plans have been put into long-term storage (it IS happening, just not for a few years!), there are other exciting things on the horizon. I hope your build-up and preparation goes according to plan, although I'm sure these things never go exactly as we foresee them!

      I think I definitely was a little naive in going straight for the 'big-one', building up is most certainly needed. I am currently planning a month-long tour from Bergen in Norway to the Russian border. Roughly 3500km over 31/35 days all on road. Cannot wait; it's kind of my university graduation present to myself!

      I'm planning on getting back into the blog, it'll be nice to have at least -one- person reading!

      Cheers, and good luck!

      Delete