Tuesday 8 January 2013

Broken Bones and Life Resolutions

A few things have happened since my last post, the most prevalent being that I came off my bike during a TT warm up just before Christmas. I cracked my ulnar, crushed my triquetral, and sustained severe concussion, along with all the usual cuts and bruises. Obviously this put a stop to my riding, as I am in a cast for 6 weeks (only 2 weeks to go, as I write this!). This not only impacts upon my physical fitness, but also my 'psychological fitness'. For me, riding a bike is not just about pushing my body, seeing the world around me and shouting at car drivers, it's about clearing my head and sorting through life's troubles. I hadn't really realised just to what extent I rely on cycling as an almost spiritual part of my life, it really is like meditation. This is the part of riding a bike that I have missed the most. 

As with every new year, resolutions have been made. Rather than 'new year's resolutions', this year I have made 'Life Resolutions'. Being in my last year of university and faced with the prospect of finding a job and moving into the 'real' world, I have been feeling both extreme excitement and trepidation about my future. I have been very complacent with myself in the last few years, rather than actually chasing and achieving my goals. This is changing. 2013 is going to be a new beginning for many different reasons. 

The planning for my Norway trip (an example of a previous goal/dream that I am actually going to achieve this year!) is progressing, the route is basically finalised now, and once my exam timetable is released at the end of the month I will look into booking flights. It's getting real, which both excites and scares me. Training will resume as soon as the cast is off, not just for Norway, but I am also riding from London to Paris in 24 hours in April, which will be another, although very different, adventure!

So much to look forward to; I would say that I cannot wait for it to begin. But it already has.

1 comment: