Thursday 1 December 2011

A Slight Setback...

Slightly longer between these two posts than I originally intended, definitely going to stay on top of it from now on! 

The major thing to report here is that my bike is broken! Me and Amy were out for a 55 mile ride on Sunday when, completely out of the blue, my rear hub seized up. Fortunately it happened going up a really steep hill at around 5 mph; if it had happened going 40mph downhill I'd probably be in hospital right now. After dropping the wheel out and playing around with it, we managed to make it rideable. Luckily (I guess...) this happened 15 miles into the ride, so we took the short, main road, way home. 12 miles on A roads isn't fun at the best of times, let alone when you're worried about your drivetrain completely seizing up....

I'm heading home to Wiltshire this weekend, so will have a proper look at it then, although, due to the cost of hubs and having a wheel rebuilt, it is probably going to result in hunting down a second hand rear wheel. 

Talking of Wiltshire, I recently got in contact with a 2011 Tour Divide racer, who happens to live very close by! We've exchanged emails and will hopefully be meeting up over Christmas for a chat to gain invaluable first-hand insights into racing the divide. 

We have also decided to try and raise some money for a worthy cause through doing this event. We haven't fully decided on a charity yet, but I will let you know when we do...!

Til next time....

2 comments:

  1. That's probably Craig if it's Wiltshire. Met him briefly in South Pass City as we went in opposite directions.

    Good luck to you both, its a wonderful country to pass through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's him! It's a small world.

    Thank you! We really can't wait, if I could afford the time/money (and had the fitness....) I'd be doing right now.

    ReplyDelete